Friday, October 10, 2008

Upland Game Bird Season-to-Date Report in Northern Lower Michigan 10/10/2008

Late this afternoon, Bruno and I hunted 1.25 hours in Cheboygan and Presque Isle Counties. He superbly pointed one grouse and three woodcock. I shot two woodcock in thick cover, which Bruno magnificently retrieved. I didn't get a shot at the grouse--the foliage was too thick. Since I'm a woodcock bander, I faithfully practice conservation and limit my kill rather than kill my limit (during the Michigan woodcock season, the daily limit is three). Thus far this season (ruffed grouse season opened 9/15 and woodcock season opened 9/20), we've hunted 9 days/approximately 15 hours usually in dense, young aspen and tag alder stands during which Bruno has pointed 58 different woodcock (I do not count repoints/reflushes in this tally) of which I shot eight. The number of woodcock we've encountered thus far this season is substantially higher than that of this date last year.
Since we primarily hunt in woodcock habitat in early season until more leaves fall from the trees, the number of ruffed grouse we've pointed/flushed thus far this season is approximately equal to that of this date in 2007. We expect our number of ruffed grouse encounters to increase significantly as the season progresses and the leaves fall.
All in all, bird-season-to-date 2008 seems much better than bird-season-to-date 2007.
Are you getting outdoors? If yes, then great--enjoy the serenity and beauty of nature! If no, then do your heart, your mind, your soul, and your bird dog(s) favors--get out of the office and leave work behind, c'mon Up North and pursue your passions. Wild wings are waiting...

No comments: